Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - Trailer 1 Released!

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The Badassitron joke is the only one that didn't work for me... BUT the second part of it where he does an actually pretty funny expression as he repeats it in a weird voice helps mitigate it. And the rest of the jokes are fine. They're amusing and fun more than hilarious but that's fine for a fun kids action movie.

-ZacWilliam, I'm looking forward to seeing more Elita, she has the tiniest part here.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I keep seeing people use the words "kids movie" to refer to this one. What makes this more of a "kids movie" than a "family movie"? I see this as more of the latter than the former. To me, "kids movie" means it's meant only for kids and has little to no value for adults to enjoy. This looks like it's aimed at the same audience as Shrek.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
There aren't really "kids movies" in the classical sense anymore, it feels like, as studios want to pitch the widest possible nets to maximize profits. They're all family movies at this point, so while the description is inaccurate, I understand why people would immediately conflate the two these days.

EDIT: I mean, hell, how many kids got into the franchise thanks to the Bay films? And those, while juvenile as hell, were definitely not aimed at kids.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
EDIT: I mean, hell, how many kids got into the franchise thanks to the Bay films? And those, while juvenile as hell, were definitely not aimed at kids.
Heh, yeah. With those movies it seemed like Bay tried his darndest to aim them as far away from child audiences as possible, as if he was scared stiff of any potential embarrassment he might have of being labeled a director of kids movies.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I keep seeing people use the words "kids movie" to refer to this one. What makes this more of a "kids movie" than a "family movie"? I see this as more of the latter than the former. To me, "kids movie" means it's meant only for kids and has little to no value for adults to enjoy. This looks like it's aimed at the same audience as Shrek.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure Shrek is a good example. While it has enough slapstick and such to work superficially as a kids movie, it's also full of metajokes/references that only an adult would get, as well as tons of double entendres. We might get some references/jokes to other TF stuff, but I'd be really surprised if we got any under-the-radar risque jokes.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure Shrek is a good example. While it has enough slapstick and such to work superficially as a kids movie, it's also full of metajokes/references that only an adult would get, as well as tons of double entendres. We might get some references/jokes to other TF stuff, but I'd be really surprised if we got any under-the-radar risque jokes.
That's why Shrek is a family movie, not a kids movie.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
though kids movies in the 80s were, like, the Neverending Story, so what the hell do I know.
my family must have watched that movie 100 times when I was a kid.

Where's THAT crossover, Hasbro? Remold Crimson Flame into Falcor. Give me a Gmork figure. Make a leader class Rockbiter that doubles as another Inferac character.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
my family must have watched that movie 100 times when I was a kid.

Where's THAT crossover, Hasbro? Remold Crimson Flame into Falcor. Give me a Gmork figure. Make a leader class Rockbiter that doubles as another Inferac character.
They could re-release Mach-Kick, but I think the character would get a "sinking feeling"...

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Making something intentionally terrible still means you've wound up with something terrible
Yeah, like it illustrates Bee's silly but shallow humor, and that IS the joke... But it's also a joke you put in a trailer that's the first indication of what your movie's humor (among other things) will be like.

The follow-up deep voice bit is the same joke again, in multiple ways (it's saying the goofy name again, and it's "B-127 doesn't get what makes something cool" again).

Oh well. I may have felt better about it if I'd first encountered it in a later spot, or in the movie itself.

Anyway, it was great to see Vehicons and Seekers. The action sequence snippets seemed very cool.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I could imagine him as Starscream.
Yeah, but I didn’t get the impression Starscream was going to have that big a role. We saw him and the Decepticon High Command in the trailer, but it could well be a false indicator. Snake Eyes being in his classic look was the focus of the toys and advertising, but only amounted to 30 seconds on screen.

Given his billing, I’m betting on him voicing the lead Quintesson or something like that.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
This actually reminds me a bit of Brian Ruckley's early IDW run, which is kind of a neat thing to feel nostalgia for.

Top Bottom