Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - Trailer 1 Released!

Platypus Prime

Citizen
"Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father..."
"We don't have fathers. We're robots."
"Yeah, that's why he never mentioned it. Not everything's a conspiracy theory, dude..."
-Right before they all suddenly realize they aren't in a Disney owned movie and are about to be sued.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That actually looks like a Transformers movie that I want to see! Nice blend of action and humor, a well thought out world with actual characters. Definitely kid/family focused to help sell the brand to a new generation of fans. I'm optimistic that this will be everything I hoped the live action movies would be (but weren't).

Dake

Citizen
Add me to the pleasantly-surprised-it-looks-like-fun team. The humor feels more natural than we've seen before, and the VA direction feels much less "reading from a script as it's being written" of the Netflix series anyway. And Hemsworth has a good young-Optimus voice.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
37 years since the last animated movie, we finally see the RID return in animated form on the big screen

The movie looks pretty fun, thou Orion & D-19 faces look like very similar, as if nobody could think to make them look different, I think this film will be a hit with kids for sure, but will it make a profit, is still up for debate and releasing in Septermber, doesn't strike me as the best time to release a animated film, they should of really released it during the summer holidays or just before when Half term arrives, to get parents intersted as something to do with their kids

Dake

Citizen
37 years since the last animated movie, we finally see the RID return in animated form on the big screen

The movie looks pretty fun, thou Orion & D-19 faces look like very similar, as if nobody could think to make them look different, I think this film will be a hit with kids for sure, but will it make a profit, is still up for debate and releasing in Septermber, doesn't strike me as the best time to release a animated film, they should of really released it during the summer holidays or just before when Half term arrives, to get parents intersted as something to do with their kids

I wonder if they're hoping to catch the back-to-school crowd which might lead into good holiday sales? I don't even know if things work that way any more, but it seems reasonable. I assume it's also because they don't want to go up against the big end-of-year family titles coming out (to include Red One, Moana 2, Mufasa and Sonic 3).

Magnusblitz

Citizen
In terms of the toy?
I like it, generally. [...] What I hate, though? That damned plastic color.

Completely agree, it's a really nice and thick-looking design. Only weird part is those little tabs on the front bumper pointing down, makes it look like it wouldn't be able to roll, but maybe it clears the ground. But that grey. Oy vey, that "we pre-yellowed your toy for you!" grey...

As for the trailer... yeah this is about the vibe I sorta expected when the cast was revealed. It sorta feels like every animated kids movie from the last 20 years or so, just with a coat of Transformers on it. Hard to know how much of that is just the trailer though (are we really gonna get "Start Me Up" as in-movie music?) Doesn't look bad, seems funny enough.

Dake

Citizen
I thought using the Rolling Stones was an odd choice too, then I realized that the target audience likely doesn't even know who the Stones are, so it's a "new" song to them. And I also imagine it's likely only for the trailer (and maybe the second or third song during the credits).

Big Show

Citizen
It looks like a lot of fun.
And even if I didn't think so, it should certainly put plenty of new eyes on the property (especially those who are growing up in a time when they are less likely to be drawn to "toys" on their own), which should provide a nice bump in funding, which will inevitably result in more things I would like and want to watch/buy. Pretty much anytime something I like is in the public eye generating interest, it ends up being good for me.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I was hoping this would feel a little more unique instead of appearing to be a lost Dreamworks movie, but that's probably just me showing my age. This is just what animated features in 2024 are like I guess.

Though I partially blame Earthspark for setting my expectations for modern TF animated features higher. :D

Animation looks fine, humor was a bit of a miss to me. Also I'll be curious if they explain why Bee and Megatron get numbed designations while Orion and Elita get names?

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I dunno, looks like Badassitron is defaulting to murderous psychopath.

I do appreciate the the use of the Animated stinger weapons, at least viaually.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So Bee is wonderful.

Questions.

1. Are those Quintessons showing up on the surface?

2. Are those Vehicons?

3. What the heck is Megatron doing looking at a giant ancient dead Tarn head? Was there a war previously that drove them underground? Is this a Gurren Lagann situation?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I wonder if they're hoping to catch the back-to-school crowd which might lead into good holiday sales? I don't even know if things work that way any more, but it seems reasonable. I assume it's also because they don't want to go up against the big end-of-year family titles coming out (to include Red One, Moana 2, Mufasa and Sonic 3).
Transformers One is filling a nice "counter programming" slot akin to what happened with TMNT Mutant Mayhem and to space it from Paramount's big summer kids film, IF.

As nice as it would be to see the film sooner...I think they got a nice spot for it. May has IF and Garfield, June has Inside/Out 2 leading to Despicable Me 4 in July. August has Sony's Harold and the Purple Crayon...and that kind of wraps the big kid/family stuff for the summer. Aside from the superficially similar The Wild Robot from Universal, kids/family content is pretty sparse until the end of November. And Transformers has a LOT of name value relative to Universal's film. Transformers is the most notable kids film between September and the end of November. I'm not expecting huge number (see TMNT last year), but I expect it to do well enough and Hasbro will benefit from the fall release on the toy front.
As for the trailer... yeah this is about the vibe I sorta expected when the cast was revealed. It sorta feels like every animated kids movie from the last 20 years or so, just with a coat of Transformers on it. Hard to know how much of that is just the trailer though (are we really gonna get "Start Me Up" as in-movie music?) Doesn't look bad, seems funny enough.
That was my vibe on it. It "felt" like so many other "mainstream focused" animated films, and they all start blending at some point. But, if the marketing works...

The biggest issue, and that's probably because I've been in this game my whole life (literally! I'm turning 40 this year!)...I basically see where the beats are and where the plot will go. For many of us, this is FAR from our first rodeo on the "Origin" train.
That said, I can see plot elements and themes that COULD well elevate this beyond my experience tells me how this story will play out. Josh Cooley has the proven talent to elevate this film, so I'm still quite open to seeing his interpretation.

On the plus side...Bumblebee has a real face again! And (likely) Quintessons!

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
So Bee is wonderful.

Questions.

1. Are those Quintessons showing up on the surface?

2. Are those Vehicons?

3. What the heck is Megatron doing looking at a giant ancient dead Tarn head? Was there a war previously that drove them underground? Is this a Gurren Lagann situation?

1) That's the rumor/guess

2) It seems to be the design. As with Airachnid it's an interesting choice.

3) Not Tarn. Megatronus. That looks like the remains of the Original 13. likely it is where he gets the Decepticon symbol and his name.

-ZacWilliam, my guess is the Quints killed them and conquered the planet long ago.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
And now? TOYS!

Listing went up for Studio Series A-List assortment. This is the assortment with Deluxe TFO Optimus prime and another figure (JtPrime listings indicate it will be 86 Bumblebee). Prime is up for preorder now.

Comicbook.com got the preview for some of the initial gimmick line:

New 2-in-1 Mask is Orion Pax, with Bumblebee being a rerun from Rise of the Beasts

Mega Changers- Titan Changers (bleh). Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are new and reflect the film's designs. Megatron is a rerun from last year, and while Starscream looks new...like Megatron, he looks like a basic G1/modern version, not reflective of the new film.

Prime Changers- They look like a replacement to Warriors. More complex and lacking the intrusive gimmicks, but don't have the complexity and deco budget of "proper" deluxe figures. Hell, given the nasty yellow grey that ended up on the Studio Series deluxe, the Prime Changer looks to hold its own MUCH better than it probably should given the $5 difference.

Also, Alpha Trion is a uni-kitty.

Top Bottom