Since there's no official thread yet. I'll put this here for now:
Damn you Rodgers for only putting this book out once a month. That. Is. Not. Often. Enough.
My thoughts on issue # 3 commentary track style:
Warning. Lots of obtuse, half-explained, and random SPOILERS
- Wow, I didn't expect to get more Shock and Ore ever. So this is a nice surprise. It's interesting to have confirmed that they were Prowl's agents (and apparently have a history with him) and that they were there to track, not destroy. Ore REALLY blew that mission. (Heh, literally.)
- Also interesting Shock's response to being the single Duobot strongly suggests to me that their gimmick was the reverse of the Duocons, who were two vehicles in one robot. These comments combined with their linked individual name structure (vs the Duocons) strongly suggests to me that the Duobots are instead 2 robots combining to one vehicle. Does that make sense?
-The traditional rhyme is EXACTLY what I love to see in Transformers comics. Exactly the sort of thing I would add back (many years ago) when I'd do fanfic. Roberts is a writer SO after my own heart with TFs it's hard not suspect that I've died and am dreaming this book in heaven.
- Rodimus's response here is one of the most perfect moments in a TF comic ever. THAT is Rod. (The rest of the issue confirms Roberts s understands him perfectly.)
- Hey, Xaaron's onboard. Did we know that?
-Heh, if you look close, Animus seems to be complaining that he has to bunk with Whirl. And poor Tailgate is trying to get anyone to notice him.
-The bromance between Chromedome and Eject is rather fun.
- I keep wanting to connect every spooky thing Roberts name drops to Bomb-Burst darn it. I know that's silly, and new concepts are awesome, it's just I so want someone to use him well someday.
- And we're suddenly on Cybertronian version of Fringe. Which I'm totally cool with. Love Fringe.
- Rossum's Trinity. see my comment on the rhyme above. So cool. Combined with Prime this was our week for TF bio-medical info dump. Awesome.
-Grumpy Ratchet rocks. He can know more than everyone and be a dismissive dick to Drift for ever as far as I'm concerned.
- Chromedome's special power is perfect. It fits who he is perfectly. (The Wolverine-y snikt moment was nice too.) I really hope we see him become a Headmaster someday because it seems like it would be right up his alley. I also already wanted a toy of him BEFORE this, darn it...
-Now we know why Prowl "needed" him.
-Notice that he promised Rewind to stop doing this...
- Love the way the memories are rendered. Wish the Corpse was maybe a tad less generic but being basically a ghoul it works fine.
- Hmmm. Hoist isn't rooming with Grapple? (Who is that by the way?)
-Tailgate is so earnest. Wonder if he and Cyc really will room together. Heh.
- I love you Swerve.
-Blurr was (or wanted to be) a musician! Would love to see Barber pick up on that and use it as a background detail in RiD.
- Love Swerve's self awareness. And that nickname Sooo belongs on the wiki.
- I think the Lost Light just got herself a "Ten Forward" and a heck of a bartender.
- Like the interplay here. And this really a good explanation for why Skids is free to be not quite the Skids of his bio. It's a good in story reason for Roberts to be able to play him outside his usual academic box.
- Holy Scrap, I didn't notice he's STILL holding the gun that he had some sort of mental block about last issue. I don't think he knows it's there. Something is up there!
-So Eject screams in worry, catches CD despite his size, and cradles his head in his lap while berating him over the first thing he ever said to him? ...maybe "Bromance" was... one letter too long...?
-"Okay, that's 'Bad.' Important safety tip. Thanks, Chromedome."
-Rodimus, you pompous hot shot. I love how he's so smugly sure it's him here.
- Aww, Animus has... had a neat design. (Thought he was gonna be Groundbreaker at first.)
- Never go near Whirl's quarters... Noted.
- I like that Roberts has Whirl hang a lampshade on Trailbreaker's usefulness. I hope he gets some more spotlights as a character down the line.
- Poor Rung and his poor models.
- Brightest spark on board huh? Interesting.
- Love the image of the two sitting side by side here. Just a great visual
- So does is flashback establish Sideswipe and Sunstreaker as the officers who arrested Impactor and Megaton?
-Woo, WWI Grimlock.
- For someone who's been very vocal about not being a Con,Cyclonus tells a kinda once sided story. Me thinks he doth protest too much?
-TURBOFOXES!!! I knew it had to happen some day! Figures Roberts would be the one. Ok, they're just drawn as the usual sort of robotic foxes, which isn't really surprising (I still like my design better ) but it's just really great to see the first ever mentioned Cybertronic fauna get its first visual depiction. I feel like the Bestiary should host a celebration or something.
- Ok, Roberts? Seriously. Stop having Chromedome hack into my brain and write this book just for me. It's getting embarrassing and I have no way to repay you!
- That was for making the already PERFECT idea of a shared Scrounge-Rung mold somehow, impossibly, MORE perfect still. Hasbro? Pleeeeeeeaaaaassssseeee!!!!
- Everything you ever need to know about Brainstorm in one page.
Page 19, 20, 21
- Remember when I said Roberts understood Rod PERFECTY? This here. That IS Rodimus again. To a friggin T.
- Drift needs a Rodimus fan-girl t-shirt sooo badly.
- Eat your heart out Luke Skywalker!
- This isn't 1986's Hot Rod and Magnus dynamic.
- Woof. Tailgate... Do you know whereof you speak? Is it a purposefull decision or just his na´vetÚ and earnestness again? Probably. It DOES fit his classic bio for him to be pro-revolutionary. He has none of the cultural context for why he's about to make a whole shipload of enemies. Poor guy. That's a great last second bomb to drop.
Damn that was awesome. If this book was weekly the wait for the next part would be TOO LONG, darn it. Can't wait for more and to see where we go from here.
-ZacWilliam, *Roberts could write a TF book and I'd... What? He already did? Then we need another one!